Storm warnings are issued every day, how does this work? What is the best way to deal with storm warnings? More information about the timeframe for Storm Warnings in the U.S. Furthermore, the book outlines the precautions for public alert signals. The above article is meant as a reference to get the best benefit. Then prepare for a new storm that will be hitting your area soon. Then follow this procedure in preparation for storms and save your lives as well as minimize the damage.
What’s a public storm warning signal #1
If you live near coastal areas, then you must have the basic know-how about storms or impending tornados. There are a total of four signals issued by the Washington Weather Service, Philippines Weather service or National Weather Service (NFS). It’s generally sounded 36 hours before the incoming tornado or cyclones. So, people could take preventive measures or evacuate the place to lessen damages.
The siren or signal launched by the meteorological department is in chronological order as 1,2 and 3. They are Red zone alerts that are significantly dangerous. The first signal is issued before 12 hours. This three-tier warning system is also known as Red Storm Warning Signal or PSWS1.
What to do if you listen to a Public Storm Warning Signal #1
The PSWS1 signal encourages you to take immediate action and follow all the guidelines issued by the authorities, linked institutes like Crisis Management Department and Climate or Weather departments. As there are experts with mastery of knowledge about climate, cyclones, tornados and thunderstorms are jointly working together. Following their guidelines wouldn’t deem you any harm.
- Secure all outdoor items. Don’t let anything laying down on your lawn or courtyards like furniture, umbrellas or pots. As there looming risk of their misplacement or damage due to heavy rains and storms. Make sure nothing is left outdoors.
- Shut down all windows and lock the doors. Leave nothing open to the outside. If you leave a window or door open, mighty gusts of wind with rainwater might come in and destroy something.
- Turn off all air conditioners if you don’t want them to be blown up. As they’re connected to the outside. Not only that, they could burst or cause a fire due to technical issues. Make sure not to on air conditioners even by mistake.
- Turn all the electrical appliances off or don’t use anything that needs electricity. The electrical poles are outdoors. They might get destroyed by mighty storms and cause shortcuts. If your appliances aren’t plugged in, they might stop working or their capacitors or motors might get burned. As a consequence, you would get financially impaired.
- Bring your car or other vehicles inside the garage and close the shutters,
- If you’re somewhere high in a building, make sure to run for the lowest floor or basement.
- Don’t use elevators but stairs during cyclone warnings. As they could get stuck and in some cases become a danger to your life.
- Don’t stand near windows or sit in a room that’s close to your main door, as if your windows get broken, they could injure you.
- Use your basements and interior rooms as they are the safest. Also, avoid anything that could break like glass windows.
- Although there are a lot of variants that could cause disturbances like connectivity issues, electricity off or internet problems. But make sure to follow up with local news in case of any natural hazard.
- If you hear a PSWS1 warning, make sure to follow all the guidelines issued or take shelter in a sturdy building. If you don’t know where to take shelter, find a low-lying ditch or culvert to keep yourself safe.
- Lastly, make sure to share any information you get with others. So there are no casualties.
Also read: 7 Global challenges
Impact of PSWS on emergency planning
As mentioned earlier, the public warning storm signal is of three tiers. They are issued in higher sea and wind damages before the weather conditions deteriorate. The warnings issued could change with time. As the weather turns. Sometimes a fourth PSWS could be issued with the following PSWS1. This happens only in severe cases.
They alert people to seek shelter from severe weather conditions Public Storm Warning Signals are sounded just 36 hours before a tropical cyclone affects an area. They are upgraded or downgraded based on disturbances in weather conditions
The weather department updates the locals every two hours. The updates vary on the size, shape, direction and impact of gusty winds. The winds that are of 60kph or more could cause drastic damage to crops, Papaya, Banana and Coconut trees. They could also blow houses that are poorly made or the ones that are constructed with low-quality materials. Apart from that, many other outdoor damages are seen during heavy storms.
Impacts of Public Storm Warning Service on lives saved
This system has saved many lives over the years and is still striving for changes to enforce better results and lessen damages.
Public Storm Warning service 1 is launched 12 to 18 hours before the hurricane. If the force of the hurricane is greater and its speed is over 60km per hour, then the areas that are expected to face this hazard could be evacuated with different warnings from the proposed institutes. Those institutes work with the people closely guiding them to shelter locations and proclaiming all the preventive measures through the local news channels. If it’s a fourth-tired hurricane, people are made to immediately evacuate the pace with the help of special forces.
During an EF4 tornado in Lee County, Alabama (3 March 2019), a total of 23 lives were lost with over a hundred injured people. This grim reminder of the destruction helped in boosting NWS for such hazardous emergencies. Law enforcement institutes and governments have made significant contributions to preventing such consequences during weather emergencies.
Issued in different languages
If you live in such a place where multiple languages are used, don’t panic as the warnings will be issued in multiple languages. So everyone can understand them and take various preventive measures. You won’t be left out. Apart from that warnings would be made from time to time so no one misses them, if missed you can hear them again when they’re repeated.
Follow all of the precaution guides for dealing with public storm warning signal #1 and keep yourself safe. Also, share this article or information with others to keep them safe during such hazards.
Click here for more articles.